Monday, April 03, 2006
Long Lines
I've met my April goal for Skeleton Crew. It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. I'm hoping to finish the stripes on the ship today. I'm working on the the long stripes above the words. So my new April goal is to completely finish the hull, and possibly the witch. Alot is gonna depend on how long the model takes me. The description sounds small, but it also sounds like there's alot of stitching in it. It would be a great birthday present to finish it!
The first of May, I will be bringing home one of my models from the shop. I had inquired about doing models for the shop before, but they needed to see a sample of my stitching. When I got their email newsletter, and saw they were hiring, it was too good to be true! I called as soon as they opened, and they called me back later. The owner had known my mom (who also did models), and scheduled an interview for that evening. I brought a couple pieces, so that even if I didn't get the job, I could still do models. The next day I had not only a job, but my dream job! They needed someone most for the only two days I could work, and I got paid over minimum wage! My first day, in the afternoon, the owner told me about the discount and the free framing deal. She asked me if I would let her hang one of my unframed pieces, A Birder's Welcome by Crossed Wings Collection!
My sister had bought the chart and the hand-painted Sky fabric to do it on, but she no longer stitches. We went trick-or-treating with her and her family (we always do; she has lots of cops in her neighborhood; we feel safer going through there), and when we got back to her house she pulled it out. She asked if I would stitch it for her, since she had had it for three and a half years. She knew she would never stitch it. So I did, but I was trying to save the money to get it framed before I gave it to her. Now that was no longer an issue. I asked her if she would mind waiting another year for it. She was as flattered and excited about it as I was.
So I took it in, and the due date was May third. So this May will be one year, and I can give my sister her birds for Mother's Day and as a thank you for babysitting T. and D. so I could keep my job while J. has the outage. I am so excited! This will be the first model I get to bring home!
I lost three pounds last week. I will never understand how. I did good Saturday, but Sunday we went out to dinner with J.'s parents. Despite having a grilled chicken sandwich, I still went over my calories. I've already done my cardio today.
The dinner was not exactly pleasant. J. and his parents both complained the entire time about how noisy the table next to us was, but you can't expect a party of about twenty to be quiet. They complained about the waitress, who was as nice as she could possibly be. When we left they said they enjoyed seeing us, even if we couldn't talk. Well, it doesn't really make any difference to me. I ALWAYS sit between T. and D., and across from J., who sits next to his dad and talks to him the entire time. I always spend dinners with them playing with the boys and wishing I had my own kids' menu to color. I appreciate when they take us out and buy us dinner, but it would be even better if I could be included in the grown-ups conversation. J.'s sister brings her Gameboy and plays video games the whole time. T. loves to play with her, but she won't even talk to him anymore. When I was that age, I was lucky if I got to bring a book to a dinner out, because it is rude! I would never even ask to bring video games!
My family doesn't take us out to eat, but then, my family cooks. They invite us over for dinner all the time. They always make a point to ask J. how work is, or at least make some effort to include him. I know J.'s family doesn't like me, but they could at least be civil!
 
posted by jymisgurl at 8:19 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments: