Monday, August 28, 2006
Another Long Post
I'm still stitching away on the haunted house. I hope to finish it this week. I'm still waiting for the buttons to come in.
Thursday, as soon as I got up from the computer after my last entry, Jymi called me from work. He told his work partner that I had gone to the fabric store, and she asked if I would make her a quilt. I don't mind, but I don't think she realizes how much it would cost. Even if I just charged her materials, it would be over a hundred dollars for the size she wants! Nevertheless, I spent half my stitching time this weekend sketching on quilt patterns, different sizes, and figuring up how much each one would cost. She was supposed to call with more details of what she wanted Saturday, but I never heard anything. Knowing she makes about the same as Jymi, I don't think she'll still want one when she finds out how much it would cost. I was very excited at first, but the longer I think about it, more I realize it won't really happen.
At least in talking to my sister about it, she told me a magazine a month or two back had a quilt pattern using the Cars fabric. She said it was very simple (a big plus for me), and that may have been part of why everyone was asking for it. She told me not to cut it yet; she'd give me the magazine next time she saw me.
It was another movie marathon weekend here, but this time Jymi and I watched different movies. He spent the weekend watching violent spy/martial arts movies in the bedroom, and I watched goofy comedies in the living room. The only one we watched together was The Pacifier.
This is my fat cat, Tinkerbell. She was being cute, so I had to take a picture. It doesn't happen often. My children are killing each other. Darin's usually the one with cuts and bruises, but yesterday he got Tobi. Tobi's got a huge bruise on the side of his face, along with two small cuts right by his eye.
I also wanted to mention that I've listed some of my charts for sale on the Needle and Thread. It's not much (thanks to my pack rat tendencies), but we need the extra money right now. So anything I could bear to part with, that I've either already stitched, or I know I never will is listed. I need to go through my kits and add all that aida to the list, but my kits are the only thing that I don't really have organized. They're just scattered abound.
Lastly I want to answer the last two weeks' SBQs before this week's comes out. First, do you have an organizational system for your fabric? If so, what is it? If not, what do you store your fabric in? How do people store their fabric, especially those small but potentially usable pieces? Do they sort by count? How do they label it or otherwise know what each piece is? I kinda sorta have my fabric organized. I have a drawer in my big cart full of fabric. In the bottom, I have special cuts, in bags labeled with what they're for. On top of that, I have four stacks of fabrics: 1/16 yd., 1/8 yd., 1/4 yd., and 1/2 yd. pieces. They are labeled either with what they came with of masking tape with the maker, color, and count. I keep the stacks in alphabetical order by maker, then color, then count. The small, leftover, soon-to-be-ornament pieces all just get thrown into a bag in a drawer, together, no rhyme or reason. I pull out one when I need it, but since I'm so picky about fabrics, I don't use them very often. Some I have plans for, and just haven't gotten around to it.
Next! What do you keep your WIPs and other stitching supplies in when traveling? Okay, y'all are going to cringe. I keep my stitching in gallon size ziplock bags when I travel. I put my scissors, ort ball, and any other small supplies I need (threader, Thread Heaven, ect.) is a sandwich bag. I always travel with a back pack, and I stick both bags and my Q-Snaps in there. I don't travel very often though, so it doesn't come up much. Of course I always travel with at least two back up projects, in case I finish something (insert sarcastic laugh here). On the cruise, in January, I took what I was working on, my next start, and what I wanted to do after that. Bear in mind this was a cross stitch cruise, and we also got a kit the first night, and then another one that was our class project. I did finish the one I had started, and almost finished the sceond one. I probably would've, but I was missing two colors. Wow. More long stories. Time for some lunch, and then some stitching. I'm going to finish the orange today.
 
posted by jymisgurl at 11:06 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments: