Thursday, August 24, 2006
What Is Wrong With All The Men?
They're handicapped. They only have one X chromosome. I keep hearing stories lately about men being jerks. My stepdad had a hissy fit the other day because my mom didn't have her cell phone with her. She was gone for an hour (when she picked me and the boys up the other day), and he couldn't get in touch with her about something urgent. What was so urgent? He wanted her to have lunch with him. Then he came home and blew up at her in front of Grandma, Uncle Elza, Darin, and me (Tobi was in another room).
Yesterday, Jymi stayed home from work because he hadn't slept the night before. I felt bad, and tried to be extra nice. I went out with my mom (I'll get to that in a minute), and was gone for most of the day. When I came home, Jymi was testy, and walked away every time I tried to talk to him. After the boys had dinner and went to bed, Jymi ordered pizza for me and him. When I asked what he was getting, he had a temper tantrum and yelled at me about being nosy. Then I lost it, too. The clean version is that I tore into him for yelling at me and the boys when we had been nothing but nice to him all day. I told him I was sorry he hadn't slept well, but it wasn't my fault; I spent half the night falling out of bed because I didn't want to risk waking him to push him back over to his side. I had spent half my day trying to make him feel better, and all he had in return for me was meanness, and it was not appreciated. I walked away then, and Jymi went back into the bedroom to watch a movie. I went a little later to tell him the pizza was here. I also told him I was sleeping in the living room, because I didn't want to be in the same room with him in such a horrible mood. He ate in the kitchen, and I ate in the living room, but he was subdued. He gave me the last piece of pizza, even though he wanted it, and then he asked me to come outside with him while he smoked. I did and he gave me a hug and told me he was sorry for the way he acted. He said I was right; the boys and I didn't deserve to be treated that way. He was much nicer to me the rest of the evening, and I did sleep in the bed.
Anyway. On to stitching stuff. I'm almost finished with the roof. I had to go by the shop and pick up some more Maple Syrup. The pattern in the roof drove me crazy. The first length of Banker's Grey I pulled out was all grey. So when I needed a second length, I picked out another that was all grey, so it would match. Then I needed two strands of one more length of thread, and there were no more all grey lengths. So the bottom of the roof had some brown in it.

My mom, Darin, and I went to the fabric store yesterday. I needed to get away from my three children (Tobi, Darin, and Jymi). The deal was though, that I had to take one with me. I wanted to get some fabric to finish a quilt I started about two year's ago. I'll show a picture of it anothe day, because that is a long story, that starts with another quilt, and I've got enough long stories today. The fabrics on the left are for my quilt. The red is for the inner border, which will be about two inches, and the blue (dragon scales) will be the outer border, about four inches. That will make the quilt five feet square.
I got these fabrics for my Snowfight ornaments. I found the blue on the fat quarter table, and it was perfect. So I went through all the isles again until I found it in red. They also had it in green, but I resisted the urge to stash it. I don't quilt much, so there's not really any point. It's not like cross stitch fabric, where I have something in mind for it. They both have the same gold in them, but on the blue, it looks more silvery, so it will work for Snowfight: Blue.
While we were getting our fabrics cut (my quilt stuff and the red/gold swirly, and my mom got some cute cat fabric for a scrub top), down the table, they were opening up a couple bolts of Cars (Disney movie) fabric. My mom and I looked and said how much Tobi would love a Cars quilt, when the woman cutting our fabric said if we wanted we'd better get it now. People having been calling everyday asking for it, and it was going to go fast. I caved and bought three yards. I'm going to cut it in half, and make one for Tobi and one for Darin for Christmas presents. I'm going to put some racing flag fabric on the back (in flannel if I can find it), and some black binding. It's nothing challenging, but it will give me some practice at quilting. I don't really know what I'm going to do yet, but I've got to finish the house before I even really start thinking about it. I'm glad I got it though, because when we chacked out, the cashier told all the other cashiers, "We've got the Cars fabric! It's here!" If the customers don't buy it all, I think the employees might.
They also had trick-or-treat bags for fifty cents each. I got the boys each one. They glow in the dark. They were supposed to be part of a mummy costume that they had cut up so you could buy just the bags or just the costume. I'm not enough of a seamstress to actually make them costumes, but I can do bags. I asked Tobi this morning what he wanted to be for Halloween. He wants to be Tobi. He wants to be himself. I can't argue with that.
We had a blast yesterday. We had lunch at Max's, the best Mexican restraunt in the area. Acutally, it's about an hour away. It's in the same shopping center as Mary Jo's, the ultimate fabric store. Not counting the trick-or-treat bags, I bought six and a half yards of fabric and only spent thirty dollars. They have great prices and almost every fabric imaginable! After the fabric store, since Darin was good (I had a bag of M&Ms for bribery), we took him down the mall to the pet store. They had some gorgeous birds, most of which were bigger than Darin. He loved watching the bunnies drink, and the guinea pigs pop their heads out of their house. They has the cutest puppies. One loved Darin, and followed him around his cage. He loved the chihuahua puppy, and called it Roxy. They had a puppy like Roxy, but Darin didn't recognize it at a healthy weight.
That's enough long stories for today. The main point is I went shopping, and I bought more projects. That's really what I need. Have a nice weekend.
 
posted by jymisgurl at 8:03 AM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


At 7:29 PM, Blogger Holley

That is beautiful fabric (the red and blue swirleys, although the Cars fabric is cute).

Men.

Sometimes it still stuns me that they have been in charge of the world in most regions for the past ten thousand years. Then I look at the state of the world. Go figure. At least he admitted he was wrong and you made up. Many men can't admit when they have behaved badly or been unkind.

 

At 8:09 AM, Blogger cathymk

Love your new fabbys they are perfect for the snowfight ornies!

 

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Sharon

Try not to kill Jymi! He can't help it-he's a man. Enough said.

I can't wait to see how the quilts turn out with the cars fabric. The boys will really like that!

 

At 10:26 AM, Blogger crosseyedkat

Oooo - I love your swirly fabric! I can't wait to see how your Snowfight ornaments turn out! I'll have to start a virtual Christmas tree :)

Men - I'm with you there... ;) Mine had to bike ride 100 miles in 100+ degree heat this weekend just because. I stayed home.